Here is the To Do List I accumulated at CNU 23 in Dallas
- Figure out ways to reinforce the connections between the rapidly growing ranks of the Rookie Developers to reduce everyone’s learning curve.
- Set Up FaceBook Groups for Small Developer/Builders with a sub-set the “CNU Lady Developers”. (and no, I did not name the group…)
- Develop a TurboTax-like Wizard for developing basic development pro formas with Keith Hopkins of Stage Capital Group.
- Webinar with Mike Hathorne on using Google Earth to organize site selection materials for small projects.
- Get a working group going with bankers and appraisers to vet the patches, hacks and workarounds needed for small projects in walkable urbanism.
- Line up one Small Developer/Builder “Shark Tank” and get it funded.
- Submit comments to HUD on expanding the amount of non-residential space in mixed use building financed with the HUD 221(d)(4) Loan program. (Proposed changes in the HUD MAP Manual are still in the public comment phase which closes May 14th).
- Get materials into shape for the Lean Urbanism “Developer in a Box” Tool by October.
- Coordinate the framework for the Lean Building Types Tool with Bill Dennis and David Kim so that it dovetails with the Curated Sketch-Up building types tool kit Bill is shepherding.
- Figure out the communications strategy for recruiting and mentoring small developers builders with Ben Brown and Scott Doyon.
- Figure out a structure for rookie developers to do their first project next to seasoned operators, (sort of like a medical residency).
There is clearly a lot to do. In addition to all this mentoring and advocacy, David Kim and I have our own projects to deliver between now and CNU 24 in Detroit June 8-11, 2016. A number of people have volunteered to help with this stuff, but don’t be surprised if I am calling you to enlist you in the effort. Contact me on Facebook if you want to be added to the Small Developer/Builders group. Email me if you want to help with something on this list. email@example.com
Post a comment here on the blog or email me if I told you that I would put something on this list and have forgotten it. It has been a big week and I am pretty sure that something important has slipping my mind by now….